The Why Activity
Purpose: Students have several “likes” and “dislikes,” but explaining why they like or dislike it is often more difficult. It is important for you to know why you like or dislike something so you can recognize those same interests in other activities that may appear different but incorporate the same characteristics you finds interesting. It is also important to know whyyou dislike certain activities, so that the parts of activities you dislike can be recognized in careers and majors you are considering.
As a result of completing this activity you will be able to:
- Know what activities you like and dislike and why you dislike them.
- Recognize and articulate the why of different activities and majors you enjoy or think you would enjoy.
- Recognize and articulate the why of different activities and majors you would not enjoy or think you would notenjoy.
Respond to the following questions in as detailed a way as possible (these questions can be supplemented or replaced with hundreds of others that have the same results):
- What is your favorite food? Why?
- What is your favorite hobby? Why?
- What accomplishments are you most proud of? Why?
- What was your favorite course in high school? At college thus far? Why?
- What is the worst job you have ever had to do? What made it so bad?
- What subject in school have you liked the least? Why?
- What was the worst book you have ever read? Why?
- What comes to mind when you think of disliking something? Describe in detail what it is or who it is, and WHY you dislike each of those attributes.
- What was the worst family vacation you’ve ever been on? Why? Why didn’t you like specific attributes of the trip? What would have made the trip better, and solved the negative experiences you encountered?