As the Open Major College Advisement Center, we are here to help students accomplish their academic, career, spiritual, and life goals as they transition from high school, through college, and prepare for life once they leave BYU. Our advisors do this by helping students make timely and informed decisions about majors, careers, and classes. Although our advisors can review the basic requirements and pre-requisites for BYU majors with you, detailed questions should be directed to the appropriate College Advisement Center. Likewise, if you have declared or intend to declare a specific major, your College Advisement Center will help you with major and career exploration, general education advising, course selection, and academic improvement.
Here are some of the ways we can help:
- Help with choosing a major and minor.
- Provide initial career advisement including career interest inventory interpretations.
- Explain how a major can relate to a career.
- Provide appropriate referrals to College Advisement Centers (for students who have decided upon a major) and other resources.
- Explain and help Open Major students plan University Core/General Education Requirements and help with other registration and course selection questions.
- Teach Student Development courses such as Career Exploration, Effective Study and Learning, Surviving and Thriving at BYU, and Test Preparation and Test Taking Strategies.
- Annual Major Fair to help students explore BYU majors (held in October).
International Students - come see us for help adjusting to the United States and BYU.
Visiting Students- The University Advisement Center has also been designated as the academic "home base" for students who participate in BYU's program.
Although our advisors can review the basic requirements and pre-requisites for BYU majors with you, detailed questions should be directed to the appropriate College Advisement Center. Likewise, if you have declared or intend to declare a specific major your College Advisement Center will help you with course selection.