Skip to main content


Here You Will Find Key Information to Help Navigate International Student Requirements

We know being an International Student comes with many complicated policies and specific requirements. Know that we are here to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.

Come visit us in our office: 2500 WSC 
(801) 422-3826 

Choosing a Major

Choosing a major is a process and not a decision you make in a few minutes. Therefore, the primary purpose of an academic advising program is to assist students in the development of meaningful educational plans which are compatible with their life goals. The University Advisement Center can help with this endeavor even though you may have a major. Schedule an appointment with our office here.


As an international student, you need to take a minimum of 12 credits in order to keep your legal status. Visit with an advisor from your College Advisement Center (CAC) to plan your courses. If you are not set on your major, the University Advisement Center can help you plan courses to help you explore your interests.


As one of our main objectives, the University Advisement Center seeks to provide competent and professional advisement services to our international students. We also encourage you to become involved with the International Student and Scholar Services office. They can help you navigate the policies and other intricacies of being an international student.

Exceptions to University Core/ GE for International Students:

  • International Students may fulfill their Global and Cultural Awareness Requirement (GCA) by completing the American Heritage requirement.
  • Non-native speakers of English (Those who took TOEFL exam as part of the application process) can fulfill the foreign language option of the Languages of Learning requirement through a discrepancy form at their advisement center.
  • International Students who have English as their second language should take ELang 150 to fulfill the First-Year Writing requirement.

Some University Core requirements can be fulfilled by completing an exemption or challenge exam.

  • Challenge exams as a group carry academic credit and a grade. The student's transcript and grade point average reflect the score obtained on that exam. Some challenge exams are offered through the Testing Center and others must be arranged through department.
  • Exemption exams do not, as a matter of course, carry academic credit or grades. A passing score on an exemption exam shows on the Progress Report form only as a completion of the requirement. Exemption Examinations are offered in the Testing Center (265 HGB).

A Letter for Our International Students

June 24, 2019 12:38 PM
We are excited to work with all of our international students to help you explore careers, discover your major, and help you connect with university resources!