Skip to main content


Here are a list of common questions about registering for classes. More information regarding registration can be obtained from

How do I Use MyMap?

MyMap is a useful tool offered to students to help them plan courses to take in future semesters, covering both University Core and major/minor requirements. By clicking on the “Plan Courses” tab, you can select courses to take that will fulfill both GE and program requirements. You can also plan out during which semester you will take these courses, effectively developing a map for yourself leading to graduation.

MyMap also allows students to view how their previously-taken classes can fit into another major’s requirements. For example, if a student majoring in Nursing wanted to see how his/her classes would fit into the Biology major’s requirements, he/she could do that by clicking on the “Plan Courses” link, then clicking “Explore Other Majors/Minors.” This resource can prove helpful to students with a high number of credits, who are wanting to graduate as soon as possible, regardless of his/her major.

For further questions, visit

How Many Credit Hours Must I Have to be Considered a Full-Time Student? What about 3/4-Time or Part-Time?

Full-time, 3/4-time, and part-time statuses are important, as they impact how much tuition you will be charged, what campus services are available to you, and your eligibility to receive financial aid. These statuses may also impact how much you are charged for health insurance. Full-Time, 3/4-Time, and Part-Time statuses with their associated credit hour requirements are listed below. If you have any questions about which services may be affected by dropping below a full-time status, please contact the University Advisement Center.

Fall/Winter SemesterSpring/Summer Term
Full-Time12-18 credit hours6-9 credit hours
3/4-Time9-11.5 credit hours4.5-5.5 credit hours
Part-Time.5-8.5 credit hours.5-4 credit hours

I’m Doing an Internship Over the Summer...Can I Receive University Credit for It?

To receive university credit for a work experience, you must first speak with the internship coordinator from your department, and attain departmental approval to receive credit for your experience. You must then enroll in an academic internship course and complete all necessary assignments. For information on finding an internship and receiving university credit, please visit the Internship Office, 5435 HBLL, or call them at (801) 422—3337. You can also visit or email questions to

If you do not have a major selected, or if the desired internship is not within your field of study, please meet with the Exploratory Internships Coordinator, Jeffrey Buell. Please call (801) 422—3826 to set up an appointment with Brother Buell, or email him at

What are the Add/Drop, Withdrawal, and Discontinuance Deadlines For?

BYU allows you to change your schedule with no penalty until the Add/Drop Deadline (this is on the 6th day of the Fall/Winter semesters and Spring/Summer Terms). Please see the academic calendar for important deadlines: If you must drop a class from your schedule after the Add/Drop deadline, you may do so until the Withdrawal Deadline, but you will have a W placed on your transcript for that course. W grades are not factored into your GPA, but may be detrimental to graduate school applications if you have an excessive amount. W grades could also impact students’ eligibility for financial aid/scholarships, and other university services. Please see financial aid advisors in D-155 ASB before deciding to withdraw from any and all courses.

The Discontinuance Deadline is reserved for students needing to drop all of their classes for “non-academic emergencies.” If you discontinue from a semester, you will receive W grades for all of your semester classes. You must not be failing any of your classes, otherwise you will receive a WE (Withdraw-Failing) on your transcript, which is factored into your cumulative GPA as a 0.0 for the class in which you are failing. For more information on these deadlines and how to discontinue from a semester, please contact the University Registrar’s Office at (801) 422—2631, or at B-150 ASB.

What will happen to my financial aid if I withdraw or discontinue?

Please click here for a complete FAQ on Withdrawal and Discontinuance.

How Do I Register for More Than 18 Credit Hours During a Semester (9 During Spring/Summer Term)?

BYU allows students to register for up to 18 credit hours during the Fall and Winter Semesters, and up to 9 credit hours during the Spring and Summer Terms.

If you wish to take more than the maximum number of credit hours allowed during a semester or term, you must first meet with an advisor from your major to discuss the implications of such a heavy course load. If your advisor deems it appropriate, he/she will give you approval to add more than the maximum credit hours allowed. If you are an Open-Major student, you must meet with an advisor from the University Advisement Center to discuss your course load. To speak with an Open-Major advisor, please visit 2500 WSC or call (801) 422—3826 to set up an appointment.

I Don’t Like My Grades From Last Semester...Can I Repeat a Class? What Happens to My Transcript and GPA if I Do?

Students may repeat any course taken at BYU if the course is still being taught or an equivalent course exists.

  • Beginning Fall semester 2011: ALL grades will be averaged into the grade point average (GPA) and ALL credit will be counted in the total hours.
  • Previous to Fall semester 2011: only the last enrollment of a repeated class (R-suffix courses excluded) will count in the grade point average (GPA) and total credit hours.

What is Deferring your Enrollment, and Why is it Important? How Do I Defer My Enrollment?

BYU requires that all students attend both the fall and winter semesters. If you choose not to attend one of these semesters, it is considered a leave of absence . No paperwork is necessary to return to the university for a leave of absence. Missionaries are required to defer their enrollment before leaving on their mission. If you do not take classes during the fall and winter semesters and you do not defer your enrollment, the university will assume that you have dropped out, and you will need to reapply to the university as a former student in order to return and continue taking classes. If this is the case, you must adhere to all university application deadlines. Please be aware of any scholarships or financial aid, as these may be effected by a long absence from the university. Deferment forms are available online at There are separate forms for international students as well. All questions regarding deferment must be directed to the University Admissions Office, D-155 ASB. The Admissions Office can be reached at (801) 422—4104.

I’m Interested in Taking Independent Study Courses...Where can I Find More Information?

Independent Study courses are available to students seeking high school and university credit, in addition to anyone seeking personal enrichment. Some courses are set up to be taken through paper materials mailed to the student, and others are to be taken exclusively online. Students are given one calendar year to complete an Independent Study course. The fees associated with these courses are based on the number of credits each class is worth, as well as the student’s purpose for taking the class. For example, students hoping to receive university credit for an Independent Study course will be charged more than those seeking only personal enrichment.

For more information on Independent Study courses, associated fees, and how to enroll, please contact the university’s Independent Study Office at (801) 422—2868. You can also visit the Independent Study Office in 120 MORC, or visit their website at

I’ve Already Received a Bachelor’s Degree but Want to Keep Taking Classes...What Can I Do?

BYU’s policies are such that the university will not award a second undergraduate degree to students. For information on the Masters and Doctorate degrees offered at BYU, please visit the Graduate Studies Office, 105 FPH, or call them at (801) 422—4091. You can also find information on BYU’s advanced degrees by searching at

If a student has already completed a Bachelor’s degree but still requires prerequisite work for advanced programs, he/she may enroll at BYU as a Post-Baccalaureate student. For information on how to apply as a post-baccalaureate student, please visit the University Admissions Office, D-155 ASB, or call them at (801) 422—2507.

Students having already received a Bachelor’s degree also have the opportunity to take undergraduate classes at BYU as an evening student. However, the student will be charged graduate-school tuition. The student must meet the minimum age requirement and all others stipulated by the Division of Continuing Education. For further information and to apply as an evening student, please contact the Division of Continuing Education at (801) 422—4149, or visit them at 399 HCEB.

Other Helpful Resources

Registering for Classes
Class Schedule
Graduation Blueprint