Skip to main content

Career Exploration FAQ

I’m Looking for an On-Campus Job...Where Do I Start?

The Student Employment Office administers all on-campus and Missionary Training Center jobs. To work on campus, you must be enrolled in at least 6* credit hours during the Fall and Winter Semesters (international students must maintain the legal minimum of 12 credit hours to maintain their VISAs). If working over the Spring/Summer Terms, you must be registered for at least 6 credit hours during the next Fall Semester, or at least 3 credit hours for either the Spring or Summer Term (international students must again maintain the minimum hours required to maintain VISAs). You are permitted to hold up to three employment positions at a time, but you may not exceed 20 hours of work per week without prior university approval.

Many on-campus jobs will require you to take the Office Skills Test, measuring both speed and accuracy in word processing and data entry. The Office Skills Test can be taken at the Student Employment Office, 2024 WSC. To view job postings, please visit the Student Employment Office, or go to

* Subject to change. Please contact the Student Employment Office to confirm minimum credit hour requirements.

I Want to be More Competitive in the Job Market...What Services Does the University Offer to Help Me?

University Career Services is dedicated to helping students transition from the university experience to their career field. Students wanting information on different career fields corresponding to their areas of study can set up appointments with UCS advisors. UCS also offers workshops to help you in writing résumés, preparing for job interviews, and networking within your field, providing you with strategies to make yourself more attractive to employers.

University Career Services hosts scores of employers each year for the University Career Fair. Employers will also frequently visit campus to interview potential employees. For more information on meeting with employers or to set up an appointment with a University Career Services advisor, please call (801) 422—3000, or visit them in 2410 WSC.

What Leadership or Service Opportunities Does BYU Offer to Students?

The BYU Student Service Association (BYUSA) is the premier student-run association on campus. BYUSA offers all students a chance to get involved in organizing and executing dances, service projects, and other campus events. It administers more than 60 clubs with such varieties as the Freedom Society, the Nepalese and Vietnamese Student Associations, and the Fencing Club. BYUSA also works in leadership capacities, hand-in-hand with the BYU President’s Council. For information on how to get involved, please contact BYUSA in 3400 WSC, or call (801) 422—3901. Various departments around campus offer academic-related service experiences. Please contact your dean’s office for information regarding these opportunities. For additional service experiences, please contact the Center for Service and Learning in 2010 WSC, or at (801) 422—1277. They can provide you with several chances to serve, including helping in hospices, aiding the disabled, and tutoring children. You can also visit their website at